BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY (Index No. Fr. 1058) Bayeux is an ancient and historic town o f Normandy in the department o f the Calvados. Its cathedral was the seat of Bishop Odo half-brother of William the Conqueror who took part in the invasion o f England and in it is the tomb o fan English soldier of the Hundred Years War. Bayeux was the first French town of importance to be liberated from the Germans in June 1944. It lies on the main railway line from Paris to Cherbourg and has good rail connections also with D ieppe. It is a centre for local bus services and has good hotel accommodation. The war cemetery lies on the southern outskirts o f the town, on the north side o f a by-pass road constructed by the Allied forces after they landed in Normandy in June 1944. On the opposite side o f the road stands the Bayeux Memorial to 1,837 omen f the land forces who died in the infighting Normandy and in the advance to the River Seine and have no known grave. The total o f 4663 burials in the Bayeux War Cemetery is made up as shown opposite.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.