MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY BELGIUM CEMETERY INDEX NUMB E RB. 72. THE Menin Road ran East and a little South from Ypres to a front line which varied abut few miles during the greater part of the war. The position of this cemetery about a mile and a half from the railway station or half a mile from the Menin Gate within the commune of Ypres and the Province of West Flanders on the South side of the road was always within the Allied lines. It was first used in January 1916 by the 8th South Staffords and the 9th East Surreys it continued in use by units and Field Ambulances until the summer of 1918 and it was increased after the Armistice by the concentration of 203 graves from Menin Road North Military Cemetery and from isolated positions on the battlefields to the East. The cemetery now covers an area of 7589 square yards. It contains the graves of 1051 soldiers and airmen from the United Kingdom 263 from Australia, 145 from Canada 52 from New Zealand three from the Bridsh West Indies 65 whose unit in our forces could not be ascertained and one German prisoner. The unnamed graves number 121 but memorials are erected to 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom and four from Australia known or believed to be buried among them. In addition special memorials have been erected to 52 soldiers from the United Kingdom and three from Newfoundland who were buried in Menin Road North Military Cemetery but whose graves (probably owing to shellfire) could not be found on concentration. The Royal Canadian Regiment and the Royal Highlanders of Canada setup wooden memorials in this cemetery to their dead in the Battle of Mount Sorrel, June 1916. The cemetery is enclosed partly by a rubble wall partly by a concrete curb and a privet hedge and on part of the East side by an old brick wall. It stands among gardens and houses and it is planted with cypresses Lombardy poplars, thorn trees horse-chestnuts and limes. The Register records particulars of 1634 British and Dominion burials. MEN INROAD NORTH MILITARY CEMETERY was on the North side of the road at almost the same point. It was used by the units and Field Ambulances of another Corps from May 1915 to August 1916 and again to a small extent in 1917 and 1918. It contained the graves of 130 soldiers from the United Kingdom three from Canada and three from Newfoundland. 5
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.