GWALIA CEMETERY POPERINGHE BELGIUM. CEMETERY INDEX NUMB E RB. 36. POPE RING H E is a small town in the Province o f West Flanders seven miles due West o f Ypres and twelve miles North-East o f Hazebrouck with a station on the railway between those towns. Gwalia Cemetery is about two miles North-East o f Poperinghe on the left side o f the road to Elverdinghe behind a farm known to the Army as Gwalia Farm. The Cemetery was opened at the beginning o f July 1917 in the period between the Battle o f Messines and the Battles o f Ypres. It lay among the camps in the flat and well-watered country North o f the Poperinghe-Vlam crtinghe road. It was used by Infantry units Artillery and Field Ambulances until September, 1918. O f the 463 British and Dominion burials 179 are those o f soldiers posted (or attached) to Artillery units and 30 belong to the Royal Engineers and 30 to the Labour Corps. The graves o f soldiers and Royal Marine gunners from the United Kingdom number 436 those o f the British West Indies Regiment 14 those o f Canada New Zealand Australia and South Africa five five two and one respectively and there are also buried in the Cem etry two Belgian soldiers four Chinese labourers and three German prisoners. In Plot 1 Row Hare buried 14 omen f the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers who were killed in the early morning o f the 4th September 1917 in a German air raid over “Dirty Bucket Camp. ”'The Cemetery covers an area o f 1707 square yards and it is bounded by a low wall. It is planted with crab-apple trees. The Register records particulars o f 463 British and Dominion burials.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.