HOP STORE CEMETERY VLAM ERTINGHE, BELGIUM. CEMETERY INDEX NUMBER B.2. V LAMER TING H E is a village and communc in the province o f West Flanders 5 kilometres from Poperinghe and 5 4 kilometres from Ypres. The Cemetery lies to the west o f the village a little to the north o f the main Poperinghe-Ypres road and is about 1 kilometre from Vlamertinghe station on the line between Hazebrouck and Ypres. The village was during the greater part o f the war at the extreme normal orange f the German artillery and was used from time to time as Headquarters both by our Heavy Artillery and by our Field Ambulances. The Hop Store Cemetery was on the safer side o f the village but it remained a small cemetery owing to its position between a hedge and the premises o f the Hop Store itself. The site is low and marshy particularly at the west end. It was drained by the Royal Engineers early in 1917 and recently abroad moat has been constructed on three sides. It was opened in May 1915 and the burials are almost exclusively of 1915 and 1917 .The boundaries o f the Cemetery are defined by pollarded Willows. The Register contains particulars of 247 British and one Canadian dead of whom 58 belonged to the Royal Artillery and one French soldier is buried in the Cemetery. 7
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.