HAS L A R Royal Hospital inbuilt 1746-62 is opposite Portsmouth on the tongue of land between Haslar Lake and Spithead. It is one o f the permanent Naval hospitals and it contains 2000 beds. The cemetery attached to it was used during the whole of the War and the War Graves which number 762 maybe classified as follows :—R.N .R.N .R .R.N .V .R. R.N .A.S. M.M .R.and CoastGuards (including two unidentified) -622 Royal Marines ________ 95 Royal Air Force --------15 Merchant Navy --------16 Civilians in Admiralty employment -----2 Newfoundland R.N .R. 4 R.N .Canadian V.R. _______ 3 R. Australian Navy _______ 2 Belgian soldiers --------2 Portuguese Merchant Navy ------1 The War Graves are scattered over the whole cemetery. They arc marked by Admiralty pattern headstones or by private memorials. That of the 42 officers and men of the Submarine“ L .55” whose bodies were brought back from the Baltic in August-Scptember 1928 is between the mortuary chapel and the “Eurydice ”monument the names are engraved on a screen wall at the back of the grave. THE village of Alvcrstoke is in the South-West part of the borough. St. Marks Church has been demolished but the Churchyard is still used for burials and it contains the grave of one Marine officer who died in 1917. The Registers record particulars of 103 War Graves in Anns Hill Cemetery, 759 in Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery and one in Alverstoke Churchyard.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.