TYNE COT (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL MEMO RIAL REGISTER NUMBER 30. T Y N CotE Cemetery Passchendaele is named from a barn which stood on the gently sloping ground about 2 Kilometres South-West from Passchcndaele Church. A collection o f ferro-concrete m achine-gun shelters marked the spot when it was captured on the 4th October. 1917 by the 2nd Australian Division and among them two days later the first graves in the cemetery were dug. About 350 graves were thereat the Armistice but the cemetery was greatly enlarged by concentrations from the battlefields and it now contains the bodies o f nearly 12000 British and Dominion soldiers. The Eastern plots ofT yn Cote Cemetery are outlaid in the form o f a fan with paths radiating to the “pill-box ”in the centre. They are bounded by a semi circular flint wall four metres high and about 152 metres long and at each end o f the wall there is a domed chapel carrying the stone figure o f a kneeling angel. The names o f about 33000 soldiers from the United Kingdom^ who fell in Flanders and whose graves are not known will be engraved on panels on this wall in buildings behind it orin two apses beyond the chapels and in the centre it is broken by a double row o f columns leading back to the main apse which is the New Zealand Memorial. The New Zealand Memorial bears the names o f 1179 officers and men “who fell in the Battle o f Broodseinde and the First Battle o f Passchendaele, “ O ctobcr 1917 and whose graves are known only to God .”The 1st and 4th Brigades o f the New Zealand Division came into the online the 2nd October 1917 to attack on the left and right respectively o f Gravenstafel village. They advanced on the morning o f the 4th and after fierce fighting they captured all their objectives and 1159 prisoners and advanced beyond the valley o f the Stroombeek. This was their share in the Battle o f Broodseinde in which nearly three-quarters o f the Auckland and Wellington soldiers named on the T y n Cote Memorial lost their lives. The 2nd and 3rd Brigades crossed the Stroombeek on the 10th October to renew the attack. They advanced on the morning o f the 12th under very unfavourable conditions. The enemy wire and “pill-boxes ”had been little damaged by the preliminary bombardment and the attack had to be abandoned with the loss o f 2700 officers and men. The Division was relieved in the weekending the 23rd Octobcr. The Canterbury and Otago Regiments and the Rifle Brigade owed more than four-fifths o f their names on this Memorial to the fighting on the 12th October the First Battle o f Passchendaele.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.