\ MENDINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY, PROVEN BELGIUM. CEMETERY INDEX NUMBER B 18. PROVEN is a village and commune in the Province of West Flanders five miles North-West of Poperinghe 011 the road to Bergues and Dunkerque: and Mendinghem Military Cemetery is half a mile North-West of the village a little West of the road. A bus service operates between Poperinghe to Proven. The name of Mendinghem like those of Dozinghem and Bendaghem. was coined by the troops. In July 1916. the 46th (1st/1st Wessex) Casualty Clearing Station was opened at Proven and the present site was chosen for its cemetery. The first burials took place in August 1916. In July 1917 before the Battle of Ypres four further Clearing Stations were at Proven: and three (the 46th. 12th and 64th) stayed there until 1918. I11 April. 1918. the French troops on our left for whom provision had been made when the cemetery was started carried out a few burials in it and from May to July while the German offensive was at its height. Field Ambulances were posted at Proven. The cemetery was closed (except for one later burial) in September 1918. The cemetery contains the graves of 2272 soldiers and airmen from the United Kingdom. 33 from South Africa. 28 from Canada 26 from the British West Indies 15 from Australia 12 from New Zealand and 3 from Newfoundland 8 men of the Chinese Labour Corps and 51 German prisoners. It covers an area of 7.589 square yards. The Register of Mendinghem Military Cemetery which is divided alphabetically into two parts records particulars of 2397 War Graves. 5
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.