TYNE COT CEMETERY PASSCHENDAELE CEMETERY INDEX NUMB E RB. 125. PAS SCH END A E LEis a village and commune in the Province of West Flanders midway between Ypres Rand oulers and“ Tyne C o t”or“ Tyne Cottage ”was the name given by the Army to a barn which stood fifty yards West of the level crossing on the Passchendaele-Broodseinde road. The barn which had become the centre of five or six “pill-boxes ”was captured by the 2nd Australian Division on the 4th October 1917 in the advance on Passchendaele. One of these “pill-boxes ”was unusually large and it was used after its capture as an Advanced Dressing Station. From the 6th October to the end of March 343 graves were made on two sides o fit by the 50th (Northumbrian) and 33rd Divisions and by two Canadian units. From the 13th April to the 28th September it was in enemy hands again and then it was recaptured with Passchendaele by the Belgian Army. The cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of 11512 graves from the battlefields of Passchendaele and Langemarck and from a few small burial grounds. It is now the largest British War Cemetery in the world. It contains the graves of 8901 soldiers (including airmen and sailors and Marines of the Royal Naval Division) from the United Kingdom 1353 from Australia 966 from Canada 519 from New Zealand 90 from South Africa, 14 from Newfoundland six of the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry and two of the British West Indies Regiment and one French and four German soldiers. The dates of death cover the four years from October 1914 to September 1918, inclusive. The unnamed graves arc 8365 in number or seven-tenths of the whole and special memorials are erected to 38 soldiers from the United Kingdom, 27 from Canada 15 from Australia and one from New Zealand known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names o f 16 soldiers from the United Kingdom and four from Canada buried in other cemeteries, whose graves were destroyed by shellfire. The cemetery is a little over a mile North-East from Zonnebeke station, on the railway line between Yprcs and Roulers. It covers an area of 41790 square yards. It is enclosed by a thorn hedge and a low flint wall and planted with Lombardy poplars oaks and other trees. It stands on the Western slope of the Passchendaele ridge commanding an uninterrupted view of the English Channel.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.