CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY CEMETERY INDEX NUMBER Fr. 513. C ARNO Y is a village and commune in the Department of the Somme six miles East-South-East of Albert with a halte on the light railway from Albert to Peronne. The Military Cemetery is on the South side of the village, alongside the halte. The village has been “adopted ”by the County Borough of Swansea. The cemetery was begun in August 1915 by the 2nd Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the 2nd Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry when the village was immediately South of the British front line. It continued in use by troops holding this sector until July 1916 when Field Ambulances came up and a camp was established on the higher ground North of the village. It was inclosed March 1917. From March to August 1918 it was in German hands and German (and a few British) graves were made between the British graves and the entrance and also in a German Cemetery alongside j but the German graves and the German Cemetery were removed in 1924. The cemetery now contains the graves of 828 soldiers and airmen from the United Kingdom five men of the New Zealand Field Artillery two Canadian gunners one Australian soldier and one South African. The unnamed graves are 29 in number and special memorials are erected to 17 soldiers and one airman from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery covers an area of 5312 square yards. It is enclosed by a redbrick wall and planted with red and white thorn trees. It is sheltered by high ground on all sides but the East. The Register records particulars of 837 War Graves.
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.