Search through our Service Records of Officers’ who served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) during the First World War
Original source: This collection is stored at The National Archives under the reference ADM337. This is an indexed collection where the record image can be seen.
Collection Description: The Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) was created in June 1903 by the Naval Forces Act 1903 6c, by the provisions of which volunteers were expected to serve anywhere in time of war where 'the Admiralty had a need of their services'. Volunteers joined for a period of three years and undertook to attend drills and conform to the customs of naval service. On the proclamation of war in August 1914 the volunteers were summoned to report at their divisional headquarters but very few, other than signal ratings and tradesmen were drafted to ships of the Fleet. Instead, the majority were ordered into camps in Kent to become part of two new naval brigades, along with reservists from the Royal Naval Reserve and the Royal Fleet Reserve. These brigades later became the Royal Naval Division, a naval fighting force on land which saw distinguished service in the Dardanelles in 1915 and on the Western Front from 1916. The ratings’ records are bound volumes of enrolment forms. The records give details of ships served in, period of service and remarks such as details of appearance and war gratuity eligibility.
This collection is reproduced by courtesy of The National Archives, London, England. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. The National Archives give no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives Image Library, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU.
Please be aware that due to the way we collate, and cross reference our databases, some records will contain more information than that listed above.
Original Source: This collection is stored at The National Archives under the reference ADM337