The Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS) was created in 1909 as a sister organisation to the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAIMNS), to support the Territorial Army. The TFNS was made up of civilian nurses working in civilian hospitals who would volunteer their time to work in military hospitals, and eventually overseas. Over 7,000 women served in the TFNS during the First World War in about 25 UK based hospitals, hundreds of auxiliary units throughout the British Isles and eventually 18 overseas territorial hospitals. These women were awarded a number of medals for their efforts, including the 1914-1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, plus one of the rarest First World War campaign medals, the Territorial War Medal.
Please be aware that due to the way we collate, and cross reference our databases, some records will contain more information than that listed above.
Original Source: Reproduced courtesy of the Army Medical Services Museum (Museum of Military Medicine)