Events will be taking place across the UK to mark 100 years since the founding of the RAF. It will launch officially on 31st March 2018 with an opening concert at the Royal Albert Hall and run for approximately six months, with a programme of public events at national and regional levels.
On 10th July 2018, there will be a service at Westminster Abbey, a parade on the Mall and a fly past Buckingham Palace. A limited number of tickets have been made available to members of the general public. The ticket application deadline is 3rd April 2018. This will be an unparalleled spectacle in modern times, with the potential to reach a global audience of millions, reinforcing the UK’s reputation at the forefront of defence aviation excellence.
Events listed include:
- 100 years of the RAF festival at RAF Museum Cosford, Shropshire on 1 and 2 April (free event)
- 100 years of the RAF Exhibition at the Military Museum Scotland, West Lothain on 31st March
- a commemoration air show at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire on 7 May
- National Aircraft Tour – This tour will visit 6 major UK location, with the potential for tens of thousands of visitors to interact with the RAF (Locations include – Cardiff, Newcastle, Birmingham, Glasgow, Ireland and Manchester)
- two free days of air displays and ground entertainment in September in Portrush, County Antrim.
- RAF Cosford Airshow – 10th June
- RAF100 Parade & Flypast – The Mall, London 10th July.
- Battle of Britain Service, London 16th September
Keep an eye also on the RAF100 website, which has a calendar of events, which can be searched by postcode.
Was your ancestor in the RAF? Find out today!