Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: RAF Dunholme Lodge

The grass airfield was first used by the Royal Air Force during 1941 and 1942 for use by Handley Page Hampden aircraft from nearby RAF Scampton, and was officially opened as a RAF Station in September 1942 as part of RAF Bomber Command with the building of three hard runways.

The main occupier of the station was 44 Squadron, with the Avro Lancaster four-engined heavy bomber, which moved in from RAF Waddington in May 1943 and stayed until it moved to RAF Spilsby in September 1944.

In November 1944 flying operations ceased due the proximity of other stations which did not allow night flying. At the end of the war 120 Lancasters had been lost on operations from Dunholme Lodge.

The William Farr School was opened in 1952 on part of the disused domestic site.

In 1959 the airfield became a site for Bloodhound surface-to-air missiles with 141 Squadron until it was disbanded and the station finally closed in 1964.
Down arrow Up arrow 814 people in our WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
Down arrow Up arrow 1 people in our Post WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
Down arrow Up arrow 1 people in our Forces Reunited records
Filter by Surname:
3

Active From: 1941 - 1964

One moment...

Please wait while we connect with Facebook

Loading