Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: 199 Squadron - RAF

No.199 Squadron was formed on 7 November 1942 as a standard night bomber squadron within Bomber Command. It flew its first raid on 6 December 1942, and remained part of the main bomber force until late in 1943. By that time its Stirlings were considered obsolescent, and the squadron was concentrating on minelaying and short-range attacks on coastal targets.

In May 1944 the squadron transferred to No.100 Group to become a counter-measures squadron. In the next month it was one of the squadrons used to convince the Germans that a second invasion fleet was heading for the Pas de Calais. No.199 Squadrons role was to fly on the path of the "ships", using its radar jamming equipment to match the similar jamming going on in Normandy. After D-Day the squadron used the same radar-jamming methods to help support the main bomber force, retaining its Stirlings almost to the end of the war.

Aircraft
November 1942-May 1943: Vickers Wellington III
March-July 1943: Vickers Wellington X
July 1943-March 1945: Short Stirling III
February 1945-July 1945: Handley Page Halifax III

Location
7 November 1942-3 February 1943: Blyton
3 February-20 June 1943: Ingham
20 June 1943-1 May 1944: Lakenheath
1 May-19 July 1945: North Creake

Squadron Codes: EX

Duty
November 1942-May 1944: Bomber Command
May 1944-May 1945: ECM squadron with No.100 Group
July 1945: Disbanded

3

Active From: 1942 - 1945

One moment...

Please wait while we connect with Facebook

Loading