Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: RAF Portreath

RRH Portreath is a Remote Radar Head operated by the Royal Air Force. It is situated at Nancekuke Common on the clifftops to the north of Portreath beach and southwest of Porthtowan in Cornwall. Its radar (housed in a fibre glass or golf ball protective dome) provides long-range coverage of the south western approaches to the UK.

Called RAF Portreath, the base was built during 1940, opened in March 1941 and had a varied career during World War II, initially as a Fighter Command station, from October 1941 as a ferry stop-over for aircraft bound to/from North Africa and the Middle East, as a temporary stop-over for USAAF and RCAF units, and then as a Coastal Command station. By the end of the war, it had run down and in May 1950 was handed back to the government by the RAF.
Down arrow Up arrow 29 people in our WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
Down arrow Up arrow 7 people in our Post WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
Down arrow Up arrow 8 people in our Forces Reunited records
Filter by Surname:
3

Active From: 1941 - 1950

One moment...

Please wait while we connect with Facebook

Loading